Friday, October 22, 2010

Lasagna!

LASAGNA

I decided that since my husband and I are going out tonight that I couldn't really make my homemade pizza. We have to get ready for our primary program that's on sunday. This afternoon right before my date I will be practicing with my kids at the church. So, I thought that I'd make some lasagna for the kids to scarf while, Bill and I are out eating sushi. :) So, I took a look around to see what ingredients I had that would work in a lasagna. I was quite surprised at what I found. I made a 9X9 pan of lasagna, which is perfect for my three boys to eat.

Ingredients:
1/2 lb ground sausage
1 lb ground beef
1/2 a bell pepper (diced)
4 or 5 button mushrooms (diced)
1 can premade spaghetti sauce
3 tbsp dried minced onions (or 1/2 a diced fresh onion)
1 medium tomato (diced)
1 cup cheddar cheese
1/2 cup mozzerella cheese
4 tsp fresh parmesan cheese
7-9 lasagna noodles (broken in half)
4 tbsp and 2 tsp italian seasoning
12 oz cottage cheese
2 eggs
1/4 cup ricotta cheese
salt and pepper

Ok this might seem like a long list of items for lasagna. but it was what I had in the house, it was going to have to work.

Directions:

Brown the sausage and beef in a pan. Once almost all browned, add the minced onions, mushrooms, and bell pepper, cook until the minced onions are transparent and like fresh onions. Drain grease. Makes a lot of meat mixture, I stored part of it about 1/2 - 1 cup in a separate container for a different meal. Add the spaghetti sauce. simmer for 5 min. add the diced tomato, 4 tbsp italian seasoning. Mix and simmer on low heat. Meanwhile, cook the lasagna noodles in pot with salted water. Once those are al dente, take off heat and run under cold water keeping them in the same pan. After they have cooled, keep in pan. In a small bowl, add the cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, 2 tsp italian seasoning, eggs and a little mozzarella cheese. Mix until thoroughly blended.

Layering
place enough sauce mixture on the bottom of the 9x9 pan. Just enough to cover. then place lasagna noodles (which are broken in half length wise) covering the sauce. Then place another layer lightly of the meat sauce mixture. Next is 1/2 of the cottage cheese mixture. Sprinkle that with some cheddar cheese. Add another layer of lasagna noodles on top of that mixture. Then add the rest of the cottage cheese mixture on top of the new layer of lasagna noodles. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and add the remainder of the spaghetti sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese.

Cover with foil. Bake in a preheated oven for 30-35 min, until cheese on top is melted and sauce is bubbly.









remove the foil, bake another 5 min. remove from oven and let set for 5-10 min.


No comments:

Post a Comment