Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Personal Beef Pot Pies

Ok, well, I think this is such a great idea that I had to make personal beef pot pies. My kids absolutely love pot pies! We are all kind of pot pie junkies... well, anyways. I had this leftover beef stew that I made last week and I was trying to think what to do with it now. Then when I told my son that I was making pot pies he said he wanted beef pot pies. Well, then it hit me... use the leftover beef stew, it's practically what is inside anyways. So, I used the leftover beef stew from last week, and make this yummy beef pot pie. You can really put just about anything in it. I was going to make a chicken one, but this worked even better, less time to make, and so healthy! :) and yes, I made the crust from scratch. :) Courtesy of the Deseret Cookbook. :) I doubled the pie crust recipe since I was making 6 individual pot pies, double crusted. :)

Crust Ingredients: (makes one double crust)
2 cups flour (sifted)
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup milk

Combine the flour and salt. Then measure in a measuring cup the oil and milk WITHOUT stirring, then add all at once to the four mixture, the milk/oil mixture. Stir slightly until bleached with fork.

Roll out 1/2 pastry to 1/8" thickness between two pieces of wax paper to fit pie plate. Remove the wax paper and place rolled out crust into pie plate.


Fill with filling either sweet or savory, then with remaining pastry dough, roll out to 1/8" thickness the same way, place on top of filling, cut off excess dough and flute edges either with fingers or a fork. Make slits or decorations as desired for escape of steam. Bake according to individual recipe.




Filling:
Left over Beef stew, can be found further down in my blog.

*Bake in a 375F oven for 30-35 min. Checking at 25 min to see if browned on top and bubbly/done :)


I used an egg wash (1 egg and a little water) brushed on top of my pies and then sprinkled with a little Ms. Dash. For added flavor and flair.


I hope you enjoyed this, I will use this same pie crust for my other homemade pies. You will see it again.. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment