Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Texas BBQ Pulled Pork


I have made the same pulled pork for a while and my husband had mentioned last time that he was tired of it. So today I decided to try to find another recipe. Ok, so I know I'm not the only one who uses the same recipe too often,... right... or am a I? It's rhetorical so no need to answer to me. :) I went searching the web for the best pulled pork recipe... that and I needed to have all the ingredients on hand here at home. I looked for ratings by reviewers. I like to go to allrecipes.com they have a lot of great recipes and I like seeing pictures, and printing it in 4X6 cards so I can add them to my recipe box. I was a little worried so I didn't pass it along until after my family tried it for their stamp of approval. The funny thing is that my husband when he heard I made bbq pork he asked if I went easy on the A-1 steak sauce... HA HA Ha... I know right.. well, this recipe doesn't have any A-1 Steak sauce. So he was happy and was even happier that it wasn't a vinegary flavor. Even though there is some vinegar in it. I also made my homemade bread maker rolls to eat them on. You can find that recipe here. So here it is....

Ingredients
1 tsp vegetable oil
1 (4-5 lb) pork shoulder roast bone in or bone out
1 cup bbq sauce
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup light brown sugar (packed)
1 Tbsp prepared yellow mustard
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp Chili powder
1 Extra large onion
2 large cloves of garlic, crushed or minced
1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
8 hamburger buns, split
2 Tbsp butter or as needed

Directions
Pour the vegetable oil into the bottom of a slow cooker. Place the pork roast into the slow cooker, pour in the bbq sauce, apple cider vinegar, and chicken broth. Stir in the brown sugar, yellow mustard, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, onion, garlic and thyme. Cover and cook on high until the roast shreds easily with a fork, 5-6 hours.

Remove the roast from the slow cooker, and shred the meat using two forks. Return the shredded pork to the slow cooker, and stir the meat into the juices.

**Spread the inside of both halves of hamburger buns with butter, toast the buns, butter side down, in a skillet over medium heat until golden brown. Spoon pork into the toasted buns. **

** I didn't do this part, I made homemade buns and didn't toast them, they were fresh out of the oven. Oh so yummy!

Everything else on this recipe I followed to a "T". I asked my kids what they thought of the pork and they said it was the best EVER. I have a TON left, so this is great for a pot luck or even when you have lots of company over for dinner. I think I have enough for at least 2 or 3 other full meals. Now my problem will be how to use this BBQ pork in another dish that will be just as delicious. If you have any suggestions of how to you'd use this leftover BBQ pork please share with me. I love new ideas. Thanks and Enjoy! I know we did!

2 comments:

  1. Looks very yummy! We love pulled pork sandwiches. It is so easy and inexpensive to make compared to if you bought them at a restaurant. I couldn't find where to sign up for your post RSS or Email subscriptions, did I miss it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caren,
    I just added the email subscription and RSS feeds to my blog. Thanks for Following my blog. I hope you enjoy some of my recipes :)

    ReplyDelete