Monday, October 4, 2010

Meatloaf Dinner

Tonight is Meatloaf for dinner. This recipe started from a Joan Lundon's Healthy cooking cookbook I got a long time ago. In her recipe she uses ground turkey and a few other items I have changed. But I am grateful for her glaze. It's the crowning jewel of this recipe. SO Yummy! I tried a meatloaf recently with rice in the slow cooker. It didn't cook the rice, but everything else was yummy. I usually use rolled oats or breadcrumbs but thought it would be a nice switch for rice. So, that might be the last time I add rice to my meatloaf, unless it's already been cooked. I'll let you know. Here is the recipe I'm going to use tonight. I also like making several small meatloaves, they cook quicker, and it's nice to have individual servings. The recipe for the meatloaf is similar to my meatballs. So, you can use either one interchangeably.

Meatloaf
Preheat oven to 350 F

Ingredients:
1 lb ground sausage
1/2 to 1 lb ground beef
1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup breadcrumbs or oatmeal
1 small onion, finely chopped or grated about 1/2 cup
1 garlic clove minced (1 teaspoon)
1/2 small green bell pepper (finely chopped)
3 tbsp ketchup
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp ground cumin
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. (Do not over mix) make sure mixture incorporates all ingredients. Form meat mixture into a loaf shape in either a 9X5X3 inch loaf pan, or smaller loafs on a cookie sheet about the size of your palm in a loaf shape. Bake the meatloaf in the preheated oven for 40 minutes. The drippings can be used for gravy if wanted. While the meatloaf is baking, mix the glaze in a small bowl.

Glaze
6 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tsp dry mustard

Mix until all incorporated. Spread on top of the meatloaf after the first 40 minutes, bake an additional 15-20 minutes more. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing. Serve with leftover glaze for added flavor.

I am not one for gravy with my meatloaf. I prefer to eat just the glaze with my meatloaf. But I know others like gravy. So with the drippings from the glaze. Add to a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Mix in a separate bowl - 3 tbsp flour and 1/2 cup cold water. Once the sauce pan is boiling, pour in the flour mixture and continue to stir until thickened. Keep at a rolling boil for 2 minutes, to cook the flour flavor out. You can add additional salt and pepper, or worchestershire sauce for added flavor.

I hope you enjoy this. I'm gonna get making mine for tonights dinner. I'll add pictures soon. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment