Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Scalloped Au gratin Potato Chicken Casserole (Slow Cooker)

Tonight is a busy night for us. We have Cub Scout Pack Meeting tonight. We will be trying to get everything done, to get ready to be there, plus we still need to make a healthy snack to bring with us to share. I'm trying to use what I have in my pantry, fridge, freezer and food storage for the next two months. To see if I have enough for a whole two months supply, and then we will work on restocking our food supply. Therefore, I have a few odd  ball items that by themselves would not be enough for my family of 5. So I'm trying to be creative and add similar things together to make enough for our family. I know this isn't easy, and I'm sure this never happens to you. I have at one point enough boxes of things (I thought) for meals. But, I'm realizing that one box of scalloped potatoes is not enough as a side dish for my family. We each have about 4 potato slices and that's it. So, that doesn't work as a side dish, unless Bill and I are eating it as a date dinner side, and the boys don't get any. They don't like it when we do that. With that said. I first googled to see if other people had ever done a box potato mix in the slow cooker. I found a few that had. So I when with my plan. I know exciting right! :)

Ingredients:
1 box Scalloped Potatoes
1 box Au gratin Potatoes
1 bag frozen mixed veggies
6 chicken tenderloins cut into bite size pieces
4 cups of water (HOT)
4 Tbsp butter

Directions:
In the slow cooker, add the HOT water, mix in the seasoning packages from the boxed potatoes, then add the potatoes, and mixed veggies and stir. Cut up the tenderloins and add to the potato/veggie mixture. Drop the butter on top of the chicken and then stir to incorporate into the dish. Set on low for 8 hours, Stirring periodically to mix in all the ingredients.

Serve warm.

2 comments:

  1. Shouldn't we COOK/BROWN the chicken first?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only cook/brown ground beef. Chicken i usually add raw or frozen. I hope that helps :)

      Delete