Monday, May 23, 2011

Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice (slow cooker)


This morning, I am still sick. I am exhausted and I know that by dinner time I'll be ready for bed. I didn't want to have to worry about dinner tonight. I still have to plan FHE tonight. :) I'm so grateful for websites to help me think when my brain is fried. Also, I'm grateful for cookbooks for inspiration.

I have recently purchased a slow cooker cookbook. All the recipes inside are slow cooker recipes. I think that's a total score :) It is called the 3 in 1 Rival Crock pot cookbook. Under the American Classics section, I found this recipe Campbell's Creamy chicken and Wild Rice recipe. I read the few ingredients and it was the winner of todays dinner. :) I don't have campbell's brand cream of chicken soup so I didn't want to use the name. Plus, I added a can of corn and 1 Tbsp of dried minced onion that was not listed in the ingredients.  It seemed easy enough and perfect for a cold, rainy... sick day.

Ingredients:
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 1/2 cups water
1 pkg (4.5-6oz) seasoned long-grain and wild rice mix (I used rice a Roni)
4 Lg carrots, thickly sliced
8 boneless chicken breast halves (I used 8 chicken tenderloins)
1 can corn, drained
1 Tbsp dried minced onion

Directions:
Add all ingredients to the crock pot. Stirring and coating the chicken. Set on low for 7-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours or until done.

Serve with a side salad and bread.

Verdict: This was pretty good. I liked it but it needed a little spice or flavor. It's kind of bland. I didn't add any salt or pepper, and not even Mrs. Dash. But those would be a nice addition to this recipe. I will probably try this with a can of french onion soup next time. Instead of water. To see if it adds some more flavor without other stuff. The minced onions were nice and they added slight flavor to the wild rice. We have enough for everyone in our family, plus enough for one person's lunch leftover. (can you guess my lunch today?) I hope you try it and like it. I know we did. It was a nice change from our usual slow cooker meals. :) Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment