Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Half Veggie, Half Meat - Meatballs


I have been trying to think of a way to infuse my kids food with more veggies then they normally eat every day. Since it's pulling teeth to get some of them to eat 2TBSP of green beans. I know ridiculous. So since last night I had to pull teeth to get the green beans eaten. Today I thought i'd hide the veggies. Of course, they eat spaghetti sauce, but not usually the diced tomatoes. So here is what I did. Also, I tried a meat ball before I put it in the spaghetti sauce and it was fabulous!

Ingredients:

2 veggie pucks (see recipe for veggie pucks)
1 onion minced
1 bell pepper minced
1/2 cup potato flakes
1/2 cup italian bread crumbs
1 lb ground beef
1 lb ground sausage - bulk
3 eggs
3 TBSP ketchup
1 pkg italian dressing dry mix
1 pkg au ju dry mix
2 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp fresh ground pepper

Preheat oven to 400F. In a large mixing bowl, add all ingredients. blend well using hands, until all ingredients are incorporated. Spray a jelly roll pan with PAM. Then, using a scoop, take a scoop full of the mixture and place it on a jelly roll pan. Repeat until all the mixture are in balls on the jelly roll pan in a single layer. This made 47 meatballs for me. They can be touching that's fine. They shrink slightly as they cook. Place jelly roll pan with the meatballs in the 400F oven for 45 minutes. Then cool and remove. Add to spaghetti sauce and eat with pasta or on a hoagie roll.

These are so delicious and good for you, full of vitamins and veggies. It's a great way to get the veggies into those picky eaters, whether they be your husband or your kids or both.

I also, added to my 2 cans HUNTS traditional spaghetti sauce 2 veggie pucks, and two cans of diced tomatoes. To give further veggie factor. This is so yummy! Enjoy! The sauce and meatballs are simmering in the crock pot for a nice easy dinner tonight. The meatballs can be made a head of time cooled and placed in a ziploc freezer bag and used at a later time. They freeze well too!

No comments:

Post a Comment