Thursday, October 28, 2010

Apple, Pear, Squash Crumb Pie

I know it looks a lot like my apple crumb pie. It is similar, but different. This time I had some leftover brown sugar, butter and cinnamon spaghetti squash, and it tastes so much like apples, I thought it might be good in a pie. I cut up my apples which were starting to go soft, and the spaghetti squash, and I realized that my home canned pears would make a yummy addition. So, out came a jar of pears that I canned last year. :) I made my favorite pie crust, and put that on the bottom, then I filled the middle with yummy goodness, and then topped it with the amazing crumb topping from my previous apple crumb pie. Here is how to make your own version. Enjoy :)

Ingredients:
Filling:
1 cup spaghetti squash precooked with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon.
3 red delicious apples peeled, cored and diced
3 gala apples peeled, cored and diced
1 pint jar of canned pears, diced
3 tbsp flour
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 lemon - juice

Topping:
2 cups flour
1/2 cup quick oats
3/4 cup melted butter
1 packed cup brown sugar

Crust:
2 cups sifted flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup milk

This will make two 9 inch pies.

Preheat oven to 350F. Mix the crust ingredients together and roll out and place in your pie pans. Set Aside. Peel, core and dice the apples, dice the pears, and mince the spaghetti squash and place together in a bowl. Squeeze the lemon on top and mix in, to help the apples not change color. Lightly toss together in a separate bowl the flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg then toss together with the fruit mixture. make sure all is well incorporated. Spoon mixture into the prepared pie pans. 1/2 in each pan.

In a separate bowl mix together the crumb topping. Stir well. Lightly crumble on top of each pie, use 1/2 of mixture on each pie.

Place pies in the oven for 50-60 min. Pies will bubble and crust will lightly brown.

Remove and let set, until cooled.

Serve and enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment