Sunday, March 27, 2011

Decadent Buttermilk Pancakes

ANDES MINT BUTTERMILK PANCAKES with WHIPPED CREAM

If you read my previous post about the blueberry muffins. Then you know that this was the second dish of the day. I started with the blueberry muffins and while they baked in the oven, I made these decadent buttermilk pancakes. You may be saying to yourself "how are these decadent", Well, they are decadent because they are so versatile and tasty... I have three growing boys and they all pretty much have different tastes. One said he wanted chocolate chip pancakes, and another said blackberry pancakes and the other said mint chocolate chip pancakes. I just wanted plain buttermilk pancakes. I did not want to make 4 different batches of pancakes. So I made one plain buttermilk pancake batch and then added the desired additive such as blackberries or mint chocolate chips to it. We served those with whipped cream. I had a batch of plain buttermilk pancakes with pear syrup I made a year or so ago (it was a failed attempt to make pear jelly, that turned into heavenly syrup). I also when I started making this recipe realized I didn't have enough buttermilk to make a double batch, so I tried to alter the original recipe for a one and a half, but realized I couldn't because how do you half an egg? so this originally was from the Better homes and Gardens cookbook I have, but I couldn't half my egg, so I just doubled the egg, and these were I think the best pancakes I have ever had in my life. So here is what I did.. If you make these, please let me know how you liked them. I found them heavenly.

Ingredients
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 Tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tps baking powder
1/4 and 1/8 tsp baking soda
1/4 and 1/8 tsp salt
2 beaten eggs
1 1/2 cup buttermilk
3 Tbsp cooking oil

Directions
In a medium mixing bowl add the dry ingredients and mix to incorporate all ingredients. In a 2 cup measuring cup or small bowl add the eggs, buttermilk and oil. stirring to blend together. Pour all at once into the dry ingredients and stir to incorporate all ingredients, I stir until most of the lumps are gone.

Heat an electric griddle to 325 or 350. Using a 1/4 measuring cup scoop out some of the batter onto the griddle. It seems a little thick so try to flatten a little with the measuring cup. Heat about 1-2 minutes or until lots of bubbles around the edges and center, flip over and until pancakes are browned on the bottom another 1-2 minutes.

BLACKBERRY BUTTERMILK PANCAKES with WHIPPED CREAM

For our pancakes before we flipped them I added fresh blackberries to the first batch and andes mint chips to the second batch. The third batch was plain. Made 15 pancakes. Serve with whipped cream, syrup or fruit compote.

No comments:

Post a Comment