Sunday, March 27, 2011

Blueberry Muffins


Today I was feeling quite energetic when it was time to make breakfast. I also, wanted to make something that everyone was in the mood for. Unfortunately for me not everyone was wanting the same thing. I had one child who wanted blackberry pancakes, another two wanted chocolate chip pancakes and a husband who wanted blueberry muffins. I tried to see if he would be happy with blueberry pancakes, but he said whatever, which means... if I have to... So, me being the good wife that I am "trying not to break my arm patting my own back" I know shameless... Back to breakfast. I wanted to make something from scratch. So I made the blueberry muffins first, then the buttermilk pancakes (also from scratch). The cool thing is that the other day when I was at the store, I got some fresh blueberries about 3 (6 oz) containers. I have been dying to make something with them, but my schedule this week has been really crazy and I didn't even make dinner last night, my husband made fish sticks for me. I was so grateful to have something that he could just throw in the oven.  I think having the night of not making dinner, that I was feeling somewhat guilty for not making it, that I catered to everyone today. (I normally don't do this) I don't like catering to everyone with their own tastes. but sometimes it's nice for a little treat.

For the blueberry muffins I used a recipe from my Better homes and Gardens cookbook. This makes 1 dozen regular sized muffins.

Ingredients
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 beaten egg
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup cooking oil (I used canola)
1 6oz container of blueberries
1 tsp finely shredded lemon peel

Direction:
Preheat oven 400 degrees F
Prepare muffin tins with paper liners or spray with non stick cooking spray. set aside.

In a medium mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Stir to incorporate the dry ingredients together. Then in a 2 cup measuring cup or small bowl measure the milk and cooking oil and add the egg. Mix together to blend in the egg.  Pour all at once the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir only until moistened, then fold in the blueberries and lemon peel.

Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tins. fill each cup aprox. 2/3 full.  Bake in a 400F oven for 20 minutes or til golden brown.  (When pushed slightly on the top of the muffin, it bounces back up quickly muffins are done).

Remove from oven and cool on wire rack or out of muffin tins for 5 min before eating. However, my family can't wait until they are cooled, they cut down the middle of the muffin, and add a little butter and then let it melt and eat it right up!


These were so yummy, my husband had 5 of them. I only have 3 left. They made 12 muffins. I'd say pretty yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment