Sunday, March 20, 2011

Chicken Fried Steak

I had bought some cube steak this week. I thought they were fairly cheap, and if I could find a new recipe to use then I'd be a real winner. I think tonight is a winning recipe. At least my family thinks so. I searched online for cube steak recipes. Then a friend of mine said that she makes stroganoff and chicken fried steak with cube steak. That got me thinking, I Love chicken fried steak, but I have never made it from scratch. I read a few recipes of how others made chicken fried streak. Then I was off after my husband got me some buttermilk. That seemed to be the common thread with most of the recipes. So I hope you like what I made for dinner tonight, my husband and my kiddo's loved it!

Ingredients:
2 lbs of cube steak
2-3 cups of flour plus 3-4 Tbsp for gravy
2 cups of buttermilk
salt and pepper to taste
2-3 Tbsp Seasoning of choice
10 dashes of tabasco sauce
1 quart milk (whole or 2%)

Directions:
Let the cube steak come to room temperature. Have a container that you add your flour and seasoning. Mix to incorporate the seasoning and flour set aside. Pour the milk in a container to dip the cube steak in.  Set a thick bottomed skillet on high heat with about 1/2 inch of oil in the bottom to fry the cube steak in. You'll know it's ready for your steaks when you drop a droplet of water in the oil and it "dances" around. You want to make sure the oil is nice an hot, we don't want the oil to be too cool, then it just soaks in to the meat and doesn't brown the batter on the steak. While the oil is getting hot, dip the cube steak in the flour, then the buttermilk, then the flour again. Set aside until the oil is hot enough. then add as many of the battered cube steak to the oil that will fit in your pan at one time, I was able to cook 3 at a time. You may only be able to cook 2 at a time. Once both sides are browned, set on a paper towel to soak up some of the oil. If your cooking the steak in batches or ahead of time you can store them in the oven at 325 for about 10 minutes to keep them warm, while you make the gravy or finish up the rest of your dinner.

After you have cooked all of your cube steak. Drain off most of the oil, trying to keep most of the bits and pieces in the pan for the gravy. Once you've drained the oil, set back on the fire, adding the Tbsp of flour and stir around to mix all together, cook the flour a little to take the flour taste out of the dish, then gradually pour in the milk, stirring frequently, until thickened and the drippings incorporated in the gravy.

Remove the fried steak from the oven, pour the hot gravy on top, and enjoy! so delicious.

Verdict!

My husband and kids loved it, I even had one piece left and my middle son said he wanted to take it as leftovers for school lunch tomorrow (eating it cold). I'd say it was a huge hit! So this might just be a new addition to our monthly menu, it may be on there more than once a month :) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment