Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Split Pea Soup

The first time I tried to make split pea soup, it was gritty and yucky... so I'm trying it again... can you say, hard headed... yeah that's me. This time I thought, how about I try it in the crock pot to see if I can make it in there. That way it cooks a long time, it's gotta work... right.... Well, here's hoping.

I have it going in the crock pot. I put it in around noon today. If figured, 6 hours on high... it's gotta cook. Right?! Here is what I did, and I'll let you know how it turned out when it's done. :)

Ingredients:
8 cups chicken broth (mine is homemade)
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup diced onion
1 bag of dried split peas - sorted and rinsed
2-3 cups diced ham for garnish

I added the chicken broth to the crock pot. Next, I added the celery, carrots and onion. Finally, I added the split peas. They are all cooking in one harmonious pot of yumminess. I have ham to add to it once it's blended, creamy and smooth. I am letting it cook at least 5-6 hours on high. Then I will remove, add about 1/2 cup of half and half. and blend well. Served with diced ham and french onion straws.

No comments:

Post a Comment