Sunday, December 12, 2010

Shepherds Pie

I love, love, love shepherds pie! It is such an easy thing to make, and so delicious. My mom used to make this when I was a kid. It was different every time, but still so familiar. For me, it depends on the cheese I have on hand, or decide if I want to make a white sauce or a red sauce... If I make it with a white sauce, I skip the green beans and substitute mixed veggies. If I use red sauce it's the green beans for the veggie. I've made this several ways, the olives are optional with the red sauce, as my family doesn't like olives, but I do, so when I'm feeling a little frisky I add the olives to shake it up a bit. I try not to tell them it is in there. Or I end up with none of them eating, and i have a 13X9 dish of shepherds pie to eat all by my self... is that bad?! I don't think so, I will eat it for lunch for a whole week. :)) Lucky me! :)

Ingredients
1 lb ground beef
1 jar/can spaghetti sauce or alfredo sauce
1-2 cans of green beans or mixed veggies
6-8 potatoes (made into mashed potatoes) or 2 bags of instant mashed potatoes
1-2 cups of shredded cheese, or 6-8 slices of cheese
1 can minced black olives (optional)

brown ground beef with minced onions or just seasoned with salt and pepper. Mix in the spaghetti sauce. Pour into a 13X9 pan adding the olives (optional)



then sprinkle the cans of drained green beans on top.










Next Layer the mashed potatoes on top of the green beans.













then sprinkle the shredded cheese on top.












Bake in the oven preheated to 350F for 30-35 min. Till heated through and bubbly. Remove, serve warm. Dig in! and yummy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment