Monday, November 1, 2010

Pineapple BBQ Meatballs

Tonight I wanted meatballs, but I had a feeling everyone is getting a little tired of the spaghetti sauce with our meal. We tend to do a lot of spaghetti sauce with our meals. So, I remembered back when my cousin Mimi got married, they had this sweet and sour type meatballs... Oh my, was it yummy. I remember pineapple and catalina dressing. I couldn't remember anything else. Well, I don't have any catalina dressing or pineapple, just pineapple juice. I thought I'd make my own version using BBq sauce and pineapple juice. I made some homemade bbq meatballs which is different than my normal meatball recipe. I'm trying to use what I have and add extra veggies to my kids meals. Since I blended and froze some of the veggies from making the chicken stock. (using it instead of throwing it away). I added two of my frozen "pucks" of minced mixed veggies. It has a ton of celery, carrots, onion and seasonings. I thawed them in the microwave to be able to use them.

Ingredients for BBQ Meatballs
1 lb ground beef
1 lb ground sausage
2 veggie pucks
3 tbsp minced onion
1 cup quick cooking oats
4 tbsp bbq sauce
2 eggs
2 tsp garlic sea salt

Mixed all together, balled and placed on a cookie sheet baked for 40 min in a 375F oven. Pulled off the hot cookie sheet into a sauce pan.

Pineapple BBQ sauce
1 -1 1/2 cup Famous Daves BBQ sauce
1-2 cups pineapple juice (to thin the BBQ sauce)

stir in a sauce pan, then add the meatballs from the oven, heat sauce with meatballs til boiling then lower heat and simmer.

This makes a nice sweet, tangy and with a little kick sauce and meatballs.

I am serving this over rice with a side of green peas. I had my taste tester (braeden) try one of the meatballs in the sauce and he said it was AWESOME!!! Best meatballs ever!

I think they are pretty good myself. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment