Monday, October 20, 2014

Breaking News!!! Philly Steak Salad and Low Carb Cream Cheese Pancakes

Baby JellyBean #4 Due June 3, 2015
OK, I know it's been a while since I've updated this blog. I apologize, I have been under the weather and sick. I found out a year ago I was a diabetic and have been trying to get my blood sugars under control. That being said, I also just found out that I'm pregnant with baby #4... It's my 5th pregnancy but 4th baby (so far). I am still diabetic, with crazy blood sugar. My Dr. said I need to get it below 95 fasting and 140 when I eat or I'll be put on insulin. I am doing everything I can NOT to go on insulin. I have made a dramatic change since last night. After I realized that the "diabetic diet" I got from my Dr was still putting my blood sugars way out of whack! I am going to do a no carb or low carb eating from now on. I plan on cutting out all processed carbs like rice, bread, pasta, and even potatoes (except sweet potatoes). It will be a lot like a mixture of Atkins (r) and Paleo. I plan on eating lots of veggies and meats, while limiting several fruits and carbs. I am hoping this will help my body to work better and lower my blood sugar. I have already seen a drastic change since last night and this morning. That is saying something.

My average after meal BS level was between 250 and 350 with medication. My fasting BS average was between 150 and 220 depending on what I had for dinner the night before and if I had any snacks between dinner and bedtime.  Those numbers will make me have to be on insulin. I decided last night to try something... This was not what I wanted... I wanted to lower my BS numbers, not raise them.

Last night, I made Philly Steak subs for my hubby and kids. I emphasize Steak as I had cut up actual steaks and not those thin pieces from the freezer section. While they had it on hoagie buns, I had mine on a bed of lettuce, with extra bell peppers, onion and mushrooms.  It was delicious and filling. I did crave something sweet after dinner, but I think in time that will go away. I didn't have my after dinner snack either. My BS level an hour after eating was 165. That was a good start to being around where it needed to be. This morning my fasting BS was 121... that is a HUGE difference then the day before. So for breakfast I decided NO carbs or very low carb intake.  So I made low carb pancakes. OMGoodness! They were so delicious and easy to make, plus... I could eat every one I made! :) They were very crepe like and sweet enough without syrup on top, or anything extra added. Talk about delicious! I may need to make those again, later today or tomorrow for breakfast just because they are so good! I've posted the recipe and a pic or two of the dinner and breakfast.

I am planning on adding more recipes, reviews and updates to this pregnancy and diabetes as it affects me as the months progress. Thanks for stopping in and leave a message to say HI!

Philly Steak and Cheese Salad

Ingredients:
4 oz steak, sliced thin
1/2 cup diced bell peppers
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms (bella)
1/4 to 1/2 cup diced onion
1 Tsp dried Italian seasoning (the kind for spaghetti)
1 Tsp seasoning salt
1-2 Tbsp oil
1 slice swiss cheese
1 slice yellow american cheese

Directions:

Sauté bell pepper, onion, and mushrooms in the oil and season with Italian seasoning; until onions are translucent and bell peppers are softened. Add thinly sliced steak and season with seasoning salt. continue to sauté until beef is cooked all the way through. Add the cheese slices to the top of piled beef and veggies. Add about 1-2 Tbsp water and cover once cheese is placed on top, and let heat and melt cheese for about 1 min or 30 sec. depending on how thick the cheese slices are. Remove and place on bed of lettuce. No dressing needed. Enjoy! 


Low Carb Cream Cheese Pancakes

Ingredients:
2 eggs
2 oz cream cheese
1-2 Tbsp Agave Nectar
1/4 tsp Cinnamon

Directions:

Blend all ingredients together. I used a cup attachment to my Ninja blender. Heat griddle or pan sprayed with non stick spray until hot. Pour batter on heated griddle in (4) 4-6 inch size pancakes. Flip after about 1-2 min when sides are dull looking and bubbly. Make entire amount of batter. Enjoy when all cooked. * These are very thin and crepe in texture. They will cook quickly and spread fast. 

** These pancakes are so delicious and are only 2 grams of Carbs per 4-6 in pancake. If you are allowed 15-20 grams of carbs for breakfast. Then you get the whole stack of pancakes, with no guilt! Even if they look like mine and fall apart because they are so thin, that's ok!  :) they still taste delicious!


1 comment: