Monday, August 12, 2013

Sausage Egg Rolls

Fried Sausage Egg Rolls

Baked Sausage Egg Rolls

Sausage Egg Rolls

These egg rolls are super yummy whether fried or baked. Someone from our church gave me this recipe and I have loved it ever since. I have made this recipe so frequently that I no longer need the recipe. I have made these egg rolls with salad shrimp as well, just exchanging the sausage for salad shrimp. This recipe is doubled. I feed 3 Huge boys, myself and husband. We love these so much I freeze some and cook later. The freezer ones are better baked. As the outer wrapper gets soggy and won't fry well. If you can tell me how to freeze them where the outer coating doesn't get soggy when thawed... I would love you forever! well, maybe not forever but would definitely give a shout out!  Anyways, I just love these. They fry up nicely and bake nicely. As you can tell from the pictures. This is another of my loves for cheap takeout at home. I love asian cuisine but don't have the money to go out to eat much. These are so perfect! 

Ingredients:
1-2 onions diced (depending on size)
1 head of cabbage diced/sliced
6-9 carrots grated, or finely jullianed (the more carrots the better)
1 bag Mung Bean sprouts, drained (Sam Sung brand)
2 Tbsp Black pepper
2 lbs ground sausage/pork (raw), or salad shrimp (thawed and drained)
2 pkg egg roll wrappers (Wei-chuan spring roll shells)
Vegetable Oil for frying or Non-stick PAM for baking

Directions:
Mix onions, cabbage, carrots, bean sprouts, black pepper, and protein (sausage or shrimp) in a large bowl. (might need to get your hands dirty) Make sure ingredients are dry ingredients. (well except for the sausage). If ingredients are wet dry in towels or in oven. When rolling these follow directions on the wrapper. Usually 2 Tbsp of filling is enough per roll. Don't over fill. Once you have wrappers filled, and ready to go...

Frying:
Heat oil to 450F, fry until golden brown on both sides. I use an electric skillet to fry and only use about 1 inch of oil. you don't want them floating, they need to rest on the bottom and oil needs to come to about half way up the side of the egg roll.  So you can easily flip them and they stay put.

Baking:
Preheat oven 450F, spray bottom or cookie sheet/jelly roll pan with non-stick spray (PAM). Place egg rolls on cookie sheet about 1 inch apart. Then once egg rolls are placed on cookie sheet, spray egg rolls with cooking spray. Then place in oven for 15-20 min until brown. (check center of largest roll to make sure sausage is completely cooked.)

Enjoy! These are tasty with some Sweet chili sauce! I also find that at my International Grocer (Food Maxx)...

My family loves these and eat them all up! I've tried freezing them so I can stretch them out. I have frozen them all put together, but in the future I may just bag the filling and then thaw when ready to use with the wrappers. But either way, these are a HIT! I hope you enjoy them. We LOVE Them!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment