Wednesday, May 4, 2011

White Chicken Chili - Slow Cooker

Tonights dinner was a "what do I have on hand" dinner. Yeah, I know I do a lot of those types of meals, but sometimes that's all we can do. I had my good friend AMY over tonight with her three girls. And I was busy today, so it was hmmm what do I do for dinner tonight... around 9am when I'm functioning enough to think about dinner. I'm in three classes at school and I'm so overwhelmed. I may be dropping one of my classes so I can function better. I really didn't realize that I would be so overwhelmed and unorganized... That I think is the hardest thing me not being able to get organized to function. This is the worst start to a grouping of classes I have ever had. :( So not happy with myself right now.

Here's for a good gather your wits healthy nutrient rich dinner. :)

1 lb chicken - tenders or breasts cut into bite sized pieces (canned chicken or freeze dried -foodstorage would work good too)
1 onion chopped
3-1/2 bell peppers orange, yellow and red
1 cup herb and garlic with lemon juice marinade
Cook in a pan on the stove or just add to the slow cooker. (depending on if you don't mind raw chicken cooking slowly) This will take about 10 min or so depending on heat.

Add to the slow cooker then add
1 can chicken broth
1 can chili beans
1 can drained and rinsed white northern beans
2 cans sweet corn
1 can rotel tomatoes with green chili's
salt and pepper to taste - I did about 3 pinches of salt and 10 turns of the pepper grinder
Cook 5-6 hrs on low or 3-4 on high then set to warm/simmer  til ready to serve.
30 min before serving. Add 2 cans cream of chicken soup and combine

Serve with sour cream, shredded cheese and tortilla strips/chips as toppings.

We didn't add any toppings except tortilla strips.

This makes enough to fill a 4 qt slow cooker, or 2/3 of a 6 qt slow cooker. Plenty for a crowd or even to freeze half for a later meal.

Verdict!
SO DELICIOUS! I know I say that a lot. My friend that was over didn't want any toppings, she said it was delicious all by it's self. Also, her girls ate 2 whole bowls. :) that's always a good sign. My boys ate BIG bowls and we still had enough to share or freeze for another family. So can easily feel 8-10 people. :) Those are always good meals. (in my opinion) :)

Who needs to go to a restaurant when you can make delicious white chicken chili at home and have it cook all day while you do other things. I think that's the best and most satisfying thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment