Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Enchirito's


Tonight I am making Enchirito's. Your probably thinking to yourself, "what the heck is an enchirito?". Well, I'll tell you. Back when I lived in West Virginia I used to buy this box mix that was from Taco Bell that was enchirito's. It came with refried beans, taco seasoning, flour tortillas and sauce. All I had to do was add beef or chicken. Then you would assemble and bake in the oven. I loved them, and then they stopped selling them. :( very sad! So now I have made my own. I am adding a few other ingredients to make it mine.

Ingredients:
10 flour tortillas (you may use less)
1 lb ground beef
1 can refried beans
1 can red or green enchilada sauce
1 can green chili's (optional)
1 medium onion
1-2 veggie pucks(optional - recipe for veggie puck can be found here)
1 package taco seasoning
2-3 cups shredded cheese

Directions:
Preheat oven 350F.

Brown the ground beef, and onion. Then add the taco seasoning (like you were making taco's). Then add the veggie puck and green chili's. Set mixture aside.

On the flour tortillas spread 1-2 tbsp refried beans on the tortilla (enough to cover surface).












Then add 2-3 spoons of beef mixture. (enough to fill the middle of the tortilla,









then add a couple sprinkles of cheese.
















Roll and set in a 13X9 pan. Repeat until full, may take 8-10 tortilla's depending on how full you make the tortillas.













Next, pour enchilada sauce on top. Sprinkle with cheese.












Bake 350F oven for 25-30 minutes. Till bubbly and cheese has melted.

Serve Warm. with sour cream and other toppings such as lettuce, tomato, onion, olives, even guacamole. This is a yummy dish. Adding the veggie puck adds a nice added veggie and vitamin punch to the dish, they won't be able to tell.

I was able to make enough for two families=2 pans. I could have put them all in one pan, but realized I would have way too many leftovers. So I'm going to share the love. Give one pan away.


1 comment:

  1. I gave one pan away. I kept the smaller portions because i wasn't sure if the kids were going to eat it. I was so WRONG... They ate it up. it had a little kick to it. My husband liked it, Bryen (my really picky eater) wanted a whole pan! only my youngest was complaining of the spice. I thought it had a nice flavor. A definite keep on our dinner menu. I hope you enjoyed it as much as we did. :) I served this with a little leftover white rice with Rotel tomatoes with green chili's and one can of corn. I thought it was a pretty tasty side.

    ReplyDelete