Friday, November 12, 2010

Homemade English Muffins



My family LOVES English muffins. I find it funny that sometimes I buy them and they don't realize I have them until they've been in the fridge for a long while, but they are still good. :) They they are gone in a blink of an eye. Yesterday I decided to make some homemade ones. I saw on Diner's Drive-in's and Dives that a place in California makes their own English muffins and they didn't look too hard. So, I decided to take the challenge of making my own homemade ones. I looked up in my Better Homes and Garden's cookbook and found a recipe. It looked easy enough. So I decided to make a single batch... (I should have made a double, since I have 3 left out of 17). I was hoping they would last longer, so I didn't have to make them every day... but they may need to be doubled and some stored in the freezer.. So I can make them every other day. Here is the really easy, amazing recipe... (Mind you,... my husband said they were the BEST he's ever had). He's the English Muffin Authority in our house. :)

English Muffin Recipe (found in Better Homes and Garden's Cookbook)
Prep time: 45 Min Rise: 1 1/5 hours Cook: 25 Min

5 1/4 to 5 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 pkg active dry yeast
2 cups milk
1/4 cups butter, margarine, or shortening
2 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
Cornmeal

Directions:
1. In a large mixing bowl stir together 2 cups of the flour and the yeast, set aside. In a medium sauce pan heat and stir milk, butter, margarine, or shortening, sugar and salt just til warm (120F to 130F) and butter almost melts. Add milk mixture to the dry mixture. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping the sides of the bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.

2. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough remaining flour to make moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6-8 minutes total). Shape the dough in to a ball. Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface, Cover and let rise in a warm place til double in size.

3. Punch dough down. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Roll dough to slightly less than 1/2-inch thickness. Using a floured 4-inch biscuit cutter, cut dough into rounds, dipping cutter into flour between cuts. Reroll dough as necessary. dip both sides of each muffin into cornmeal. (If necessary, to make cornmeal adhere, lightly brush the muffins with water). *Cover and let rise in warm place til very light (about 30 min) (*I missed this part...)













4. Cook muffins, four at a time, in an ungreased electric skillet at 325F for 25-30 min or until golden, turning every 5 min. (keep any remaining muffins in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours) Or, cook over low heat on an ungreased large griddle or in several skillets for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown, turning frequently.













Cool on wire racks. Split muffins horizontally. To serve, toast or broil muffin halves... - Makes 12 muffins.

Final Verdict...

I didn't let mine rise until very light... (I didn't notice any difference) Also, I used the large griddle. My first batch wasn't as thick as the rest, probably due to the fact that the dough was not risen as much and it was rolled a little thinner. The muffins turned perfect.

This is a great activity to do with your kids. They will love helping flip the muffins, cutting them out, and helping with everything. :) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment